I teach various courses in mathematics and statistics in the interfaculty master programme Statistics & Data Science and in the Psychology master programme. I initiated and designed a course on Data Visualization for students in statistics. In addition to teaching how to make graphs, I discuss the principles of effective data visualizations based on research in perception of graphs and graph reading. In this way I aim to motivate the students to think more carefully on how to communicate their statistical results.
Besides lecturing, I have been the study advisor for students in the Statistics & Data Science master programme, was a member of its admissions committee, and helped to update its curriculum. Currently, I is a member of the Board of Examiners of the programme.
Committees and boards
2022 – now: Chair Board of Examiners Statistics & Data Science master, Universiteit Leiden
2021 – 2022: Member curriculum committee Statistics & Data Science master, Universiteit Leiden
2019 – 2021: Study Advisor Statistical Science master, Universiteit Leiden
- Data Visualization (Statistics & Data Science master, Universiteit Leiden), 22-23.
- Internship Psychology (Master Methodology & Statistics in Psychology, Universiteit Leiden), 21-22, 22-23.
- Applied Data Analysis (Master Psychology, Universiteit Leiden), Workgroup teacher: 21-22 (2x), 22-23.
- Bachelor Project (Bachelor Psychology, Universiteit Leiden), 21-22 (2x), 22-23.
- Multivariate analysis and multidimensional data analysis (Statistical Science master, Leiden University), 17-18, 18-19, 19-20, 20-21, 21-22, 22-23.
- Perspectief op Carrièreplanning (Bachelor Psychology, Universiteit Leiden), Seminar teacher: 21-22.
- Workshop Basic Statistics in R (Science Communication & Society master specialisation, Universiteit Leiden), 18-19, 19-20, 20-21, 21-22.
- Mathematics for Statisticians (Statistical Science master, Universiteit Leiden), 16-17, 17-18, 18-19, 19-20.
- Survival Analysis (Statistical Science master, Universiteit Leiden), TA in 14-15, 15-16, 16-17, 17-18.
- Lisa Verbeij (ongoing) – Classification with Optimal Scaling transformations
- Georgios Kalkantzis (2022) – Evaluating the effect of dependent censoring and the IPCW correction method in survival analysis.
- Luc Apon (2020) – Optimal scaling regression with factor-by-curve interactions